Brain Fog

It's 10:44 and I'm ready for a nap. J and I went out for a two-mile walk in the rain and it was a bit of a slog but had to be done. The kid needs to get out and watered, as it were, or he'll turn into some sort of teenage troglodyte with pale skin and eyes which have evolved to process only laptop-screen light. What should have been restorative exercise might have perked up his brain, but leaves me feeling dull and stupid.

Right now, I'm looking at a very nondescript sweet potato that Joe picked up for me last week. You will not believe how long I have spent contemplating this tuber. I usually get the jewel or garnet ones, but this is a buff-colored thing and I'm not familiar with it so I've looked up a guide to sweet potato varieties on Saveur, "Sixteen Shades of Sweet: A Sweet Potato Guide".  Now, why did I even put that link in? Do I really think you want to take a deep dive into all of the sweet potatoes known to man, or at least, whoever writes for Saveur?

Brain fog is real. I haven't felt this stupid since pregnancy and those days of postpartum sleep deprivation. This present dumbness I've been experiencing some days while living in this weird womb of uncertainty. I'm alive, I have nourishment, oxygen-- like a baby, I've grown some sort of umbilicus and placenta to stay alive and I'm getting just what I need, but ONLY what I need. (Yes, in case you didn't know, babies are actually the ones which grow the placenta, not the mother. Science is awesome and so are babies. Can I see a happy baby? Let me go Google a cute baby right now....)

These cute babies from Thailand got mini-face shields to protect ...

Seriously? I can't even get away from this virus for a minute! I should have stuck with cats.

The big dilemma du jour is what to make for dinner with the leftovers I have: spicy shredded chicken and refried beans I made on Sunday. They were originally eaten in burritos, but now I want something different. The options are a high-carb comfort food casserole of macaroni, beans, chicken and cheese (nom nom nom) or to use the ingredients for healthier bowls with roasted sweet potato, cilantro and tomatoes and avocado. Why is this choice so damn hard? I asked Joe about it and he absently shot back an email "Chicken is fine." What the heck, buddy? That helps me... zero.

I'm afraid to look at the news, only because I'm so sick of it. I'm afraid to look at the listicle 'humor' site I used to because most of it seems to be a rehash of Reddit's "Am I the Asshole?" (I don't know? Are you? If you have to ask....?) "WIBTA* if I just took a cup of tea up to my room, read Dostoevsky for an hour and then slept through the rest of my day and didn't care if my kid made lunch for himself?" Actually, the kid wouldn't care but the cats would definitely say YTA because they like to eat and don't have thumbs, hence, no ability to feed themselves.

Some days are like this. I've been fairly productive in the past few weeks, but today, the first rainy day in a while, and my brain just wants to go on hiatus for a while. Maybe I'll let it happen; feed the cats, creep upstairs, put my fuzzy pajama pants back on and crawl into the bed I made an hour or so ago. Just a short nap, right?

I'm going to do just that. In the meantime, you can leave a comment here or on the FB post linked to this silly bit and tell me, what should I make for dinner? Because, seriously, Joe was no help at all....






*WIBTA: Would I Be The Asshole  and YTA: which is basically yes, you are the asshole. Thanks, Reddit, for opening up the world of advice consultation to the average bears-- all the average bears.

Comments

Popular Posts