Turnaround


It  happened when I wasn't expecting it. January's parade of drudgery and being disheartened was broken by a small-but-significant act-- digging out an old forsythia to make room for the heat pump being installed. Removal of this plant, so massively root-bound, took a couple hours in the drizzle and rain, but I never got cold.

Instead, I got sweaty and hot. And somehow, inspired. I knew I would have heat-- luxuriant heat!-- in a few days. In addition, the removal of the forsythia created the opportunity to plant something in its place which might, in time, more effectively screen west side of the front porch from the summer sun.  Which led me to researching online, which led to discovering more lovely plants I would love to have room for. Engagement is key to my feeling more alert and alive, and this plant search was activating the little gray cells, stimulating some good feelings. For Valentines Day, Joe and I went to Portland Nursery and I found a pretty pink flowered camellia which will be a fall and winter bloomer. The more open and airy habit of the sasanqua variety of this plant was more to my liking than the more dense camellia japonicas most of see around. Sasanqua flowers are smaller and more profuse.

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

In the meantime, I recognized how much good working outside had done for me. Getting back into the elemental, the dirt, the roots, the simplicity of a hard task--all of this was good for my soul. This week has seen the return of the glorious sunshine, and I've had time to plant in a few new additions to the garden as well as do a lot of pruning and weeding. The Siskiyou pink gaura plants in the front yard and the Autumn's Glory sedums were trimmed down just in the nick of time, as both are starting to produce new growth. The 10 sq foot bed around the blueberries had been surrounded by a carpet of wild geraniums; those were removed, and the area around the columbine ringing Gus's Stump (a marker memorial for our late, great Gus Kitty) was rid of weeds as well. Clearing areas feels good and allows me to see the emerging plants, the blue-green leaflets atop red-purple stems getting ready to unfurl themselves.

Image may contain: plant and outdoor
Gus's Stump, decaying from the middle. I cleared out the soft wood and mixed it with soil.
Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature
Here's a fern too big for it's space, only going to get bigger.
Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature
Divided the fern, now Gus's Stump is whole again.
I weeded the area around it later, but you can see Columbine growing around it as well as wild strawberries.

This week has found me walking each day, which might sometimes hurt my feet, allows me to peek at others gardens and gain perspective on life in general. The quiet walks alone are most restorative. I've also started back on The Zone way of eating,which focuses on insulin regulation. As someone who is insulin-resistant, this is change in diet is helping me to feel better. With my other dietary sensitivities, meal planning can require a lot of engagement and mental head space and a lot more cooking than I usually do, but I hope that the more I look up recipes with my 'approved' ingredients, the easier it will be over time. As one who likes to write, I'm compiling a de facto cookbook for future reference and ease.

Turning things around is not easy, but it's good to notice when things change. I'm going to take advantage of this 180 degree swing in the hopes that it can continue on for some time. My goals are not easy to achieve, but attainable in the long run. Until then, I just keep working at it... it's all I can do.

Image may contain: cat
There's nothing like a little lap time for Sally while I'm trying to weed. 



Comments

Popular Posts