Love, Rain

 Hello dear Portlanders!

I haven't seen you in a while, it's been a few weeks. Yes, I did in fact breeze through town a while ago, gifting you with a light drizzle, but that was just me passing through. This time, I'm back to stay for a couple days and will pour out plenty of attention on you.

As your internet messages run through cables and then out to transmitters and satellites, I can see so many of you on social media, posting joyously about me. Thank you for your kind remarks. You celebrate me like some sort of deified celebrity these days. It used to be I couldn't get a break or kind word when I came around. Instead, people pulled up their hoods and opened umbrellas to block me out. I was a social faux pas, ruining fun, staying too long, being that annoying guest who won't leave. Now, you act like I'm the best thing that's come along in years. It's a nice change, to be sure, but please, don't act like you weren't annoyed with me in years past. I didn't forget, but I will forgive you all the same.

By the way, the nasty AQI numbers are going down, courtesy of moi, merci beaucoup. That pollen in the air is getting knocked to the ground. You're welcome. I'm going to slow the wildfires, but I can't fix the drought, sorry. There's only so much I can do without causing other problems like I have in years past, when I gave you so much attention and things flooded. It's the curse of being too much of a good thing. 

But for now, I'll be hanging out for the next day or so. Maybe we can watch a movie? Just open your curtains and I'll peek right in. No rom-coms please, they only make me weepy and I don't want to overdo things. I'm supposed to be all thunderstormy today and that's hard to do when my heart is all gooey over stereotypically-attractive people trying to figure out how to be together and then having to overcome some obstacle. So often, at the end of the movie, they run into each others arms-- in the rain. I am present, a character myself, if you will. Would the scene have the same impact without me? If the day were sunny and there's no dramatic moment? Nah... so if you are going to watch a movie, make it something with a little tension, maybe revisit a Miss Marple or classic David Suchet "Poirot", complete with the art deco intro. Want funny? How about some Jeeves and Wooster? There's always plenty of action there and light humor to stave off the blues I'm accused of imposing on people in the coming future fall and winter (and spring, I know, I get too attached to Portland). 

I look forward to spending time with you for now, and then I'll be heading off for a bit. You can send me a thank you by planting something lovely for me to gaze upon: maybe some pansies to last through the next 3 seasons? Or go clean out your storm drains so I can make it out to the river easily instead of pooling in the street? For today, the crows can splash in my puddles and I'll gladly revel in your good favor. 

Love,

Rain

Comments

Popular Posts