The Sandman

"Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen
Give him two lips like roses and clover
And tell him that his lonesome nights are over"

"Mr. Sandman" by the Chordettes*

Coming home from a preschool potluck picnic last night, Kiddo was covered in sand. Even taking off his shoes--without actually dumping out the shoes-- he was shedding sand everywhere. While I had gone with the thrifty (read: cheap-ass) choice of Home Depot sand for our sandbox, his preschool sandbox has Real Beach Sand, and it sticks to him like superfine baker's sugar, coating his arms. If it had been sugar, it might have been tempting to lick him clean. Being sand, however, a brush-off with a dry rag, a complete undressing at the front door, and then the bathtub were the only sane options.

We were already past bedtime, so we scooted through our night time routine. I was tired, Kiddo was wired and tired from all the fun, and so we got pajamas on (accidentally forgot to brush teeth-- oh well, thank goodness they get a second set later!) and lay down on his bed to read stories for nighttime. Books read, lights out, time to sing the bedtime song. I snuggled him into his bed.

And that's when I noticed the sand on his fitted sheet. Not just a few little grains, but half a desert's worth was in his bed. There was so much, you could actually see it. I hollered for Joe at this point for help. We always double up on bedding in case of accidents, so it was easy to pull of the first layer of fitted sheet and vinyl waterproof sheet, and Joe carried away the mini-Sahara to be shaken out while I finished up bedtime.

How on earth did so much sand get into his bed? I wondered for a few minutes, then remembered that I'd tossed Kiddo's shorts into the sink when I'd undressed him, because there was a whole inch of sand in each of his pockets. The Sand Man, that boy. He must have crawled under the covers during some point of his quiet time that day, and by doing so, dumped a bunch in bed. Another reason I never allow him to get into my bed when we watch a video upstairs in our room. I was concerned about a little dirt, but good grief!

After our lullaby rendition of "The Owl and the Pussycat", Kiddo held onto my arm. "Stay and hold me" he said. I did so for a few minutes, then told him I needed to take shower and that I'd leave the bathroom door open and the light on, so it wouldn't be so dark. Kissed him goodnight and then tended to my own freshening up. Because yesterday was gross-sweaty-hot, and stinky bed is just as bad as a sandy one. Kiddo was counting sheep when I got out of the shower. So, the Sandman did eventually visit last night. The right one, that is.


*If you think this lyric is a bit cutesy, consider what I had to choose from. The other "Sandman" song (from Metallica) features lyrics such as "Sleep with one eye open/Gripping your pillow tight." Sorry, but cutesy wins this round.

Comments

Popular Posts